Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Ongoing Weightloss Journey

" The only thing in the world we can change is ourselves and that makes all the difference in the world." So many times we make a vow or commitment to change, but then become bombarded by outside stimuli. We become consumed with making the world and people around us happy, putting ourselves last on the priority list. We procrastinate, making lifestyle changes until we ourselves are confronted by our own health crisis. I too was guilty. Then I was forced to deal with my own major medical crisis.
My story continues to unfold as I continue to assess and evaluate my weight issues. Prior to my breaking my ankle my weight hovered between 200-210lbs. After, my accident my weight toppled to about 220lbs. I was bedridden for about 6 weeks and advised to remain in bed i.e. no weight bearing. Determined to make the best out of this health crisis, I filled my time with eating, eating and more eating. Often times, I laid in bed bargaining with God i.e. making promises to never take my legs or walking for granted. I lacked having family around to provide me with the 24 hour care needed. I was forced to become more creative, selfish and self reliant. I quickly adapted to my current plight in life and learned strategies to get me up and down the steps. My resilency, positive attitude and determination was critical in my speedy recovery process.
The question now becomes can I transfer these same qualities: determination, perserverance and selfishness to aid me in my weight loss journey. I know the above mentioned quailites will be helpful in getting me through the tough times and inspiring me to reach my goals. This is a remarkable journey and I look forward to the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment